Monday, March 22, 2021

Next, but not least...

So it's been almost a week, and I've been adding to the list of things to share but haven't had much time to write! I hope this isn't the norm, but I have to admit that this week it's been because there's been so much going on that I haven't had time to just document. Not a bad spot to be in, I must say!

One of the things I did this year for the first time was to do a Facebook fundraiser for my birthday. You know those birthday fundraising things that Facebook suggests when you're birthday is coming up? I've seen other people do them, but I've never been too impressed. I fundraise for AFSP (American Foundation for Suicide Prevention) every year, but I've just never pulled the trigger on one of these Facebook deals... until this year. THIS YEAR, my birthday just happens to have come on the heels of an ice storm that took Texas by surprise. Millions (including my kids) were without power and water for days (and for some, weeks). About two weeks before my birthday Facebook suggested I consider a fundraiser for my birthday. I decided to explore the different charities that I could raise money for, and lo and behold, one of the FIRST ones I saw was "Feed Texas" -- an organization that was raising money to feed the millions in Texas that were without water and food due to the storm and its aftermath. It was different and I thought, "Why not?" So, I launched the fundraiser, and I put $600 as my goal (for my 60th year). As of today, I've raised $650!!!! I am very impressed. You just never know when something is going to be timed perfectly for the situation. 

I don't know if I'll do it again, but it was just right for this year, just right for the moment, and it felt good to do a small part to help those in need for my birthday. It FEELS good. End of story. :)

No comments: