Tuesday, April 22, 2008

"Spam, Spam, Spam...."

With barely a moment to catch our collective breaths on Sunday, Mark and I breezed in from our weekend of soccer and Passover to drop Kennedy off, change quickly, and drive to the Progress Energy Center in Raleigh for "Spamalot" at 7pm. The heavens had opened by that time, and we drove downtown in the pouring rain to meet our good friends, the Schurtmans, have a glass of wine, and sit down for a 2-hour escape from reality.

Wow!! Did it EVER meet our expectations!!! :)

That has to have been the best theatrical performance I've seen in a couple of years (not including Kennedy's wonderful version of Slurping Beauty in last month's "Fairly Goosed" at the Holly Springs Cultural Arts Center)! The humor was relentless and hilarious, and they never missed an opportunity for a play on words. I guess that's the Monty Python way!! Not being a huge Monty Python fan, I was reintroduced to attack rabbits, dark knights, flying cows, and a gay Sir Lancelot by people who could recite many of the scenes from memory!

Nevertheless, it was completely irreverent (especially the song about not being able to stage a Broadway production because they didn't have any Jews) and the sets and costumes were great! It's the first play I've been to in a while where we completely lost track of time!! It had a lot of standard Monty Python songs and jokes, plus some notable extras to help the story flow. I highly recommend it to anyone who has a chance to see it. Clay Aiken is playing Sir Robin's role on Broadway through May, but for those who can't afford to jet off to New York, hopefully it will come around a second time in another year or two. It's DEFINITELY a "must see!"

To celebrate our trip to the "land of far, far away", I bought a button that says "I fart in your general direction" that I intend to wear to my Rotary meeting this week to see if there are any Monty Python fans in the group!! LOL :)

No comments: