Wednesday, June 11, 2008

How Does Your Garden Grow?

It's been wayyyy too long since I posted anything, so I'll start with the mundane. :)

We've been experiencing a heat wave over the past week or so -- temps averaging 100 degrees by 2pm every day. It's supposed to cool off today, but I've heard THAT one before! Of course, I planted our garden about a month ago, and it got 2 solid weeks of rain every other day before it turned hot, but I don't handle the heat very well, so I haven't even LOOKED at the garden since the heat wave started.

Well, the other day, I took a peek while I was feeding the dogs on the back deck and to my surprise -- I had a lettuce tree growing in my garden! Between all the rain and then all the sun, my one lettuce plant had grown to over 2 feet tall and was threatening to flower at the top!! So, I had Kennedy and her friend Katie go out and cut it down and bring it in and we snapped this photo of it before I plucked all the leaves off of it. It's the coolest thing I've ever seen!

The rest of the garden is growing like a weed, and even with water restrictions still in place, we can water it every other day, so it looks GOOD so far! Even the onions I tried planting for the first time this year look great!

No comments: